Dear Parents / Guardians,
We hope all is well with you this fortnight. Our news is as follows:
- Christmas Shoe Box Appeal: 195 shoe boxes were collected from Bunscoil Bhride last week. Thank you for supporting such a worthy cause. These gifts will be greatly appreciated by the children who receive them. A sincere thanks to Marie Kelly who organises the collection of the shoe-boxes every year.
- Headlice: As you will be aware, we have had a problem with headlice in a number of classes this year. We are marking next Tuesday 27th November as ‘Designated Head-Checking Night’, whereby we are asking you all to check your child(ren)’s head(s) and treat where necessary. There is no homework throughout the school on that night to facilitate this. We are also asking that hair be tied back and knotted into plaits or a bun for the next few weeks until we can confirm that the problem is under control. In order for us to tackle this problem effectively we are relying on all parents to carry out this important task on Tuesday night. Our aim is to eradicate headlice completely from the school.
- Carol Service: Our annual Carol Service will take place on Tuesday 18th December at 7.30pm in the parish church.
- Basketball: Well done to our girls who won their match last week beating Scoil Na Naomh Uilig. Tomorrow we host Scoil Uí Riada in the school. Best of luck to the girls.
- Fun Run: We are very excited to announce that we will hold our first Bunscoil Bhríde Fun Run on Sunday 10th March 2019 at 11.00am. (See details below)
- Christmas Annuals: All the children received a slip with information about Christmas Annuals. If you wish to purchase an annual (purchase is optional), please return the slip along with an envelope containing the specified amount on Thursday 29th November only. Please place the child’s name on the front of the envelope.
- Coming to school: Reminder – we are not responsible for children before 8.50am. School begins at 9.00am. You are asked to drop your child(ren) to school as close to 9.00am as possible. We will provide supervision for children and open the school on wet mornings at 8.50am. There is no supervision or shelter for children before 8.50am and we would ask that you do not drop them off before this time.
- Parking: Our car-park is a busy place and we would ask you to exercise extreme caution upon entry and to adhere to our car-parking rules (outlined in the diagram attached to this email). We would appeal to parents and anyone who drops children to school or collects them, not to park in the yellow box, in the wheelchair parking spaces, between the wheelchair parking spaces or alongside the school wall. Parking is in a single row alongside the Noone Engineering wall and in three rows along the middle white lines ONLY.
- Active Schools News: The Active School committee is very pleased that the whole school is taking on another big running initiative for this school year. The Bunscoil Bhríde Fun Run will take place on Sunday 10th March 2019. It will be a 5k/10k run/jog/walk. We hope that every family in our school body will take part, as well as many other athletes who will be running in order to win the big race. All classes in the school will soon get back into training for this big event. We hope that all the parents and family members at home will join us in our efforts to build up our stamina and get ready for this exciting day.
Rathangan Runners are also on board and will start a Couch to 5k programme after Christmas to coincide with the fun runs. More information will follow on our newsletters.
Rós O’ Sullivan