Dear Parents / Guardians,
We hope all is well with you this fortnight. Our news is as follows:
- FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS: I am thrilled to report that our Under-11 football team have just been crowned the Cumann na mBunscol U-11 Football League Champions. On Tuesday they took on and defeated Crookstown N.S. in what was a closely-contested, nail-biting and thrilling final. We are now in proud possession of the League Cup, which the girls paraded around the school yesterday. We will present the girls with their medals at a whole-school assembly on Friday. A party will be held on Friday afternoon for all of the girls who have been attending football training this year. I want to especially thank our coaches Ms. Feeney, Ms. Collum and Ms. Millane who voluntarily give so generously of their time in coaching the girls after school. It is this generosity of time and spirit that has led us to this happy and proud day – a day that the girls will remember forever. All classes in the school enjoyed a homework-free night last night in celebration of our momentous victory. Well done to all of our talented ladies! Photos of the match and our team can be viewed on our website www.bunscoilbhride.ie. Well done also to the Rathangan U-13 girls’ football team, the majority of whom are pupils of Bunscoil Bhríde, who became the U-13 County final champions on Saturday last. They will bring along their Cup to our assembly on Friday. We look forward to celebrating this wealth of footballing talent in our midst.
- Parent-Teacher Meetings: Parent-Teacher Meetings will take place on Tuesday 12th and Thursday 14th November. This is an ideal opportunity to meet with your child’s teacher and discuss her progress. This year our school is using PTCFast.com to make signups to timeslots with your child(ren)’s teacher(s) as convenient as possible. Please click on the following link to book your chosen ten-minute timeslot for your daughter(s): https://ptcfast.com/schools/Bunscoil_Bhr_de
or alternatively type the following into your web browser:
If your daughter attends one of the Special Education Teachers, please book in a timeslot to see this teacher also. Booking of times is first-come first-served, so you are advised to click in to book your selected timeslot as soon as possible. If you do not have internet access, please contact us via phone at 045524540. Your daughter’s teacher looks forward to meeting with you and discussing her progress with you.
- New Board of Management: As you will be aware, the new Board of Management for the school is currently being formed and will begin its four-year term on December 1st. Your daughter will be bringing home a letter and ballot sheet to you today. Please read the letter and vote for your chosen parent to act as Parent Nominee on the Board of Management. Ballot papers should be returned to the school no later than 2.40pm on Thursday next, 24th October.
- Maths Week: Maths Week is taking place nationally this week and all classes in the school are engaged in different mathematical activities to mark it. We would ask that you support us at home by playing Maths games with your child and pointing out to her the ways in which maths can be found and is used all around us. See www.mathsweek.ie for some ideas. Our Sixth Class pupils took part in a Maths Quiz Morning organised and hosted by Ardscoil Rath Iomgháin on Tuesday morning, as part of our participation in the Schools Excellence Fund Project and to mark Maths Week. They were joined in the quiz by Sixth Class pupils from Rathangan B.N.S. and First Year students from Ardscoil Rath Iomgháin. Details and photographs of the event can be found on our website www.bunscoilbhride.ie
- Ready, Set, Go Volunteers: I would like to sincerely thank the parents who have been volunteering their time to work with the Junior Infant classes in the implementation of the Ready, Set, Go Maths programme three mornings per week. Their time, effort and commitment to the school is hugely appreciated and has made the programme much more effective for the children in Junior Infants.
- Head Bumps: It is our school policy to phone home when a child bumps her head, however minor.
- Christmas Annuals: If you wish to order a Christmas Annual for your daughter (optional), please fill up the ‘Christmas Annuals’ slip received today and place it in an envelope with €4 exactly, marked with your daughter’s name. Envelopes will be collected next Tuesday 22nd October only.
- Friendship Week: Friendship Week was celebrated in the school last week. We had a wonderful week that culminated in our Coffee Morning on Friday, photos of which can be viewed on our website www.bunscoilbhride.ie
- Irish Dancing: Irish dancing classes have been rescheduled due to our whole-school assembly on Friday for our victorious football team. The four-week block of lessons will now begin for all classes on Friday 25th October. All pupils should wear their school tracksuit and runners on these four Fridays. I want to sincerely thank Carmel for giving so generously of her time again this year.
- Creative Rathangan workshop: Ms. Gorman’s and Ms. Rowley’s Second Class are taking part in a workshop entitled ‘Creative Rathangan’ today. The workshop is being facilitated by local artist Monica de Bath and local ecologist/historian, Michael Jacob. Photos of the event will be available to view on our website www.bunscoilbhride.ie. Our two Sixth Classes will take part in ‘Creative Rathangan’ on Thursday 7th November.
- Christmas Shoe Box Appeal: A reminder to all those who wish to participate in the Christmas Shoe Box Appeal: Shoe boxes must be brought into the school on Friday November 8th only. They will be collected from the school on that day.
- Dangers of the Internet: While the internet is a wonderful resource, I would like to remind you that it can also pose many dangers to your child. While the school has safeguards in place with regard to pupil internet/website access at school, use outside school falls under parental responsibility. Children should never be allowed access to the internet at home without supervision.
- Photographer for Junior Infants: A photographer from County Photos will visit the school on Tuesday next to take photos of our Junior Infants (and any siblings they have in the school). The photographer will also take class group photographs of the girls. Proofs will be sent home to parents, with no obligation to purchase. Please phone the school if you do not wish your child to be included in the photos.
- A Spooky Walk/Non Uniform Day: As part of our Active School activities the children and teachers will go on a ‘Spooky Walk’ next Wednesday, 23rd October at 11.10am, weather permitting. The children dress up on that day, but they will need to wear warm clothes and sensible shoes for outdoor walking. We are looking for Garda-vetted parent volunteers to accompany us on our walk. We will walk to the Garda station and back to the school. Please come to the school for 11.10am if you are available. We would love to see any other parents / family members out to greet us on our walk. We are asking for an optional donation of €1 from children on the day, which will go towards providing a skipping workshop for all classes in the school this term.
- Midterm Break: Bunscoil Bhríde will close for the midterm break on Friday 25th October and will reopen on Monday November 4th. We trust everyone will enjoy a well-deserved break after such a busy half-term.
Message from the Parents’ Association
The photo shoot for our school calendar will take place on Monday 4th November, with a photographer from County Photos taking the photographs. Pupils will be photographed according to the month of their birthday. The Parents’ Association have themed each month and will provide props for each month’s theme. We look forward to a beautiful finished calendar. Details on how to order the calendar will be made available to parents after midterm break.