Mobile Phone and Electronic Devices Policy
This policy was drawn up in response to technological advances, which have seen a significant increase in hand-held electronic ‘gadgets’ amongst the school population over recent years.
- iPods, mobile phones, tablets, Game Boys, PSPs, MP3s, smart watches etc. are intrusive and distracting in a school environment
- Strategies must be put in place to reduce the intrusiveness of unauthorised technology in a school situation
- Some electronic devices may be harmful due to frequent use
- Mobile phones may be used to conduct bullying campaigns
- Use of cameras (on mobile phones, smart watches or tablets) within the school environment have implications for Child Protection and GDPR
Relationship to School Ethos:
The use of mobile phones, smart watches and other electronic games / tablets contravenes the provision of a safe and secure school environment and is not conducive to learning - a provision which is central to the mission statement and ethos of Bunscoil Bhríde.
- To lessen intrusions on and distractions to children’s learning
- To ensure the safety and privacy of all individuals at school
Internal School Procedures:
The following are the guidelines for mobile phone/tablet/smart watch/electronic games usage in the school:
- Pupils are not allowed to bring electronic games, tablets, smart watches or mobile phones into school under any circumstances
- Children who need to contact home during school hours may do so through the school secretary using the school landline phone
- Any pupil who brings an electronic game, mobile phone, smart watch or tablet to school risks having it confiscated. It will be necessary for a parent to come in to school to collect the confiscated item.
- Staff have access to the school landline if urgent calls need to be made to parents
- Classroom supervision is usually organised if a class teacher has to contact other professionals or outside agencies in relation to a particular child
- Staff personal calls are normally confined to break times
- Staff are permitted mobile phone usage only in cases of emergency
Roles and Responsibilities:
All staff share in the co-ordination and implementation of this policy.
This policy is monitored on an ongoing basis and amendments added as new technology comes on stream.
This policy was devised and adopted by the Board of Management in 2013. It was reviewed in 2016 and in 2019