9th November 2023
Dear Parents / Guardians,
We hope all is well with you this fortnight. Our news is as follows:
- New Board of Management: Our new Board of Management is now in place. This Board will complete a four-year term, from 2023 – 2027. I would like to thank the four mothers who considered becoming Parent Nominees on our Board of Management. Following the counting of votes on Friday 27th October, Dawn Dempsey, having the most votes, was deemed elected. Shane Ryan, as the only father nominee was also deemed elected. The members of our new Board of Management are as follows: Patron Nominees: Anne Connolly (Chairperson) and John Kennedy, Teacher Nominees: Maria Rogerson and Micheál O’Sullivan, Parent Nominees: Dawn Dempsey and Shane Ryan and Community Nominees: Betty Lawlor and John Kennedy.
- Margo Conlon: I want to sincerely thank Séan Conlon, son of Margo Conlon of Little Folks Playschool, who has made a significant donation towards the purchase of play equipment for our Bluebells Playground. Séan made the very generous donation as a tribute to Margo, who has made such a massive contribution to Rathangan over the last five decades. Margo began her teaching career as a substitute teacher here at Bunscoil Bhríde in 1973. It was former Principal, Sr. Oliver who encouraged her to open ‘Little Folks’ Playschool in 1988. Margo was also a former member of our school Board of Management, she was the first female committee member of Rathangan GAA and played a huge roll in the organisation of the Community Games in Rathangan. Her contribution to Rathangan over the decades has been immense.
- Bluebells Day: We celebrated Bluebells Day on Thursday 26th October and we were blown away by the generosity of our families. A total of €2130 was raised, all of which will go towards the purchase of play equipment for our Bluebells playground. I want to thank you most sincerely for your generosity.
- Debating: Our debating team, having beaten Lackagh N.S. in the first round of the Concern Primary Debating Competition, now progress to the second round, taking on Scoil na Naomh Uilig, Newbridge on Thursday next. The girls have been working very hard in preparation for the debate, in which they will be proposing the motion that “getting rid of plastic in the ocean is just a dream”. I want to thank those of you who took the time to respond to the girls’ survey earlier this week. Your responses will be used to support their arguments. All classes from second to sixth will have the opportunity to hear the speeches in our debate in the halla on Tuesday next and I have no doubt that they will give our debating team a good grilling and provide them with a perfect opportunity to hone their skills in preparation for their debate. We wish them and their mentors Ms. Costello, Ms. Banks and Ms. Dillon the very best of luck.
- Basketball: Basketball training for Fifth and Sixth Class pupils, with Ms. Gleeson and Ms. Costello will resume on Wednesday 15th November and will run on Wednesdays from 2.30pm to 3.15pm in the school. We would urge all children from Fifth and Sixth Class to attend. If you wish your daughter to attend, please ensure you have completed the relevant consent on Aladdin Connect under the Permissions tab.
- Science Week: Science Week will take place from 13th to 17th November and we look forward to celebrating it here in the school with lots of science activities taking place in all classes. All classes will engage in a workshop on Biodiversity on either Tuesday 14th or Tuesday 21st November. We look forward to learning all about this theme.
- Science Fair: To mark Science Week, our three Fifth and Sixth Classes will host a Science Fair for the whole school in our school hall on Friday 17th. The girls, working in teams, have been given a brief, which they are currently busy researching and gathering materials for. They will be conducting experiments relating to their brief, for all classes to observe and we look forward to learning lots from this experience. I want to thank the girls and their teachers Ms. Banks, Ms. Marrinan and Ms. De Faoite.
- School Website: Please check out our school website, which is frequently updated. Keep an eye on the class blogs to see what our girls are up to. Go to www.bunscoilbhride.ie and click on ‘Classes’ and select your daughter’s class.
- Christmas Annuals: Christmas Annuals: If you wish to order a Christmas Annual for your daughter (optional), please pay via the e-payment link which will be sent to all parents later today (available under the ‘Money’ tab in the Aladdin app). The annuals are as follows: Jr & Sr Infants – Súgradh, 1st & 2nd – Spraoi, 3rd & 4th Siamsa, 5th & 6th – Sonas and the cost is €5 per annual. Please type in the name(s) of the annual(s) you wish to order when you are paying on the app (‘Notes’ section) – this is important so that we can order the correct annual for your child(ren). Multiple annuals can be purchased via the payment link. Payment must be made via the e-payment link by Thursday next, 16th November. No cash accepted.
- Christmas Shoe Box Appeal: A reminder to all those who wish to participate in the Christmas Shoe Box Appeal: Shoe boxes will be collected from the school tomorrow (Friday) morning.
- Punctuality: School starts at 8.50am. It is vital that your child attends for school on time. Arriving even 12 minutes late for class each morning effectively means your child is missing out on one hour of tuition every week. Please ensure your daughter is also collected promptly at 2.30pm every day or if you wish her to walk on a given day, that she is aware of this.
- Oral Language: For the month of November, our whole-school Oral Language is Giving and Following Directions. All classes will be engaged in activities based around helping the children to competently give and follow directions. This is something that you can quite easily work on at home with your child(ren). It is only through school and home working closely together that we can achieve the very best outcome for your child(ren).
- Parent-Teacher Meetings: Please ensure you have booked your time slot for Parent Teacher Meetings for the week of 20th November. Booking slots are only available to parents who have not already met their child’s teacher at a Pupil Support Planning Meeting. Booking can be done via the ‘Parent Teacher Meetings’ tab on the Aladdin app. Please ensure you arrive promptly at your appointment time. Meetings will be 10 minutes in duration and we ask that parents knock on the classroom door at their appointed time. Chairs will be provided outside the classrooms. Please ensure you know your child(ren)’s classroom number(s). Rooms 1 to 6 are downstairs and rooms 7 to 12 upstairs.